- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb unsalted butter cut in to pieces, at room temperature
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
Place sugar, egg whites and salt in the heat-proof bowl of an electric
mixer. Set bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, and whisk until
sugar has dissolved and egg whites are hot to the touch, about 3
minutes. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers; it should
feel completely smooth.
- Transfer bowl to mixer stand. Using the
whisk attachment, beat on high speed until mixture has cooled completely
and formed stiff and glossy peaks, about 10 minutes.
- Add the butter, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated after
each addition. Don't worry if the buttercream appears curdled after all
the butter has been added; it will become smooth again with continued
beating. Add vanilla extract, and beat just until combined.
- Add the chocolate and beat until it's fully incorporated in to the buttercream.
Note : Click here for how to make the cupcakes
Photo Credit: treats-sf.com