- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup hot water
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 18-24 Strawberries - you'll need as many as you have cupcakes
- Vodka, rum, or your choice of liquor 80 proof or higher (use Bacardi 151 for fail-proof results)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake papers and set aside.
- Sift together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, water, heavy cream, oil and vanilla. Mix with a hand held mixer until smooth.
- Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each half full. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, cream together sugar, cocoa and butter; beginning on low speed then increase to high.
- Beat until fluffy and lightened in color. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a decorative tip.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Hollow the strawberries carefully. If you pierce the side of the strawberry accidentally, start with a new one.
- Since you'll be setting the liquor aflame, it is important that your strawberry is leak-proof.
- Set one strawberry atop each frosted cupcake. Fill strawberries with liquor just before lighting (see tips). If you need to light them all at once, (say, for a party) use a turkey baster to quickly fill all the strawberries and a grill lighter in lieu of matches.
Makes about 20 cupcakes,
Any alcohol below 80 proof will not light well. (Bacardi 151 works good).
Do not attempt to eat a flaming strawberry. It's a relatively short burn time, lasting about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Photo Credit: sprinklebakes.com
Source : https://sites.google.com/site/sprinkleprints/chocolate-cupcakes-with-flaming-strawberries