- 2½ tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 14 Dove Dark Chocolate Promises, unwrapped & chopped (or 4 oz. other kind of chopped dark chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 batch of pie crust (see recipe below)
- stabilized whipped cream (see recipe below) or 1 cup heavy cream whipped and sweetened slightly
- 1 Dove Dark Chocolate Promise, refrigerated; or chocolate sprinkles; or toasted coconut
- In a heavy medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, whisk milk and egg yolks until combined. Pour milk mixture into pan while whisking. Whisk until smooth.
- Place pan on burner set to medium heat and cook, whisking constantly (yes, constantly), making sure to scrape bottom and edges of the pan, until mixture starts to thicken, about 7-9 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in chocolate, butter, and vanilla. Transfer hot filling to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap so that the wrap rests in contact with the filling so a skin does not form. Refrigerate filling until cool, 1-2 hours.
- Once filling and crusts are cool, spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip or a quart or gallon size zip top bag. If you're using the zip top bag, once it's got the filling in it, cut about a half-inch or a little less off one corner. Also place whipped cream into pastry or zip top bags, preferably fitted with a star tip, but that's not absolutely necessary.
- Squeeze about 1 to 1½ teaspoons of filling onto each little crust. Then top with about a teaspoon of whipped cream. Top it all off with sprinkles, grated chocolate, or toasted coconut. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Note : Makes 65 bites.
Photo Credit: food-pusher.com
Source : http://www.food-pusher.com/2012/03/bite-size-chocolate-cream-pie.html