- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 2 pounds ripe fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut up
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (16-20) - ounce package frozen meat-filled ravioli, thawed
- ⅔ -1 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- Cooking oil for deep-fat frying
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
In a small bowl, beat together egg and milk. Dip each ravioli in egg mixture; then dip in bread crumbs to coat.
In a heavy
3-quart saucepan, heat 2 inches of cooking oil to 350 degree F. Fry
ravioli, a few at a time, in hot oil about 2 minutes or until golden
brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a 300 degree F
oven while frying the rest.
For sauce: In
a medium saucepan, cook onion and garlic in hot olive oil or butter
until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, dried basil (if using), salt,
and pepper. Cover; cook over medium heat about 10 minutes or until
tomatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.
stir in tomato paste. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered,
about 20 minutes or until mixture reaches desired consistency, stirring
occasionally. Stir in fresh basil, if using. Cover sauce; keep warm.
- To serve: Sprinkle ravioli with Parmesan cheese, if you like. Serve with warm sauce for dipping. Makes 12 to 14 appetizers.
Click here for Original Recipe and more Details
Photo Credit: midwestliving.com