Note : You could use mulled wine for adults, juice based for the kids. ( dragons blood punch always works good.)Dragon's Blood Punch:
- 1 (64 ounce) bottle apple juice, chilled
- 1 (64 ounce) bottle cranberry juice, chilled
- 2 (32 ounce) bottles ginger ale, chilled
- 1 (32 ounce) Soda
- red food coloring (optional)
- 8 firm apples
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon salt
Dragon's Blood Punch:
- Pour half the chilled juices and ginger ale into the punch bowl. Fill bowl with remaining juices and soda. Place the shrunken heads in the punch bowl. For added effect, place a few drops of red food coloring on the eyes, nose and mouth of the shrunken heads just before serving.
- Note : The shrunken heads are too salty too eat!
- In a large bowl combine the salt and lemon juice with 1 cup water until the salt dissolves. Peel the apples, cut in half lengthwise and spoon out the seeds and core. Turn into the mixture to stop them browning. Using whatever tools you have carve out the eye sockets, nose and mouth ( I have a pumpkin carving kit that was perfect for this.). Return them to the mixture turning to coat. Leave them in there for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Pat them dry and place on a wire rack over a roasting tin or rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 250 degree oven for 2 - 3 hours, until they begin to shrink and edges are lightly browned, or until they look the way you want them to. Let cool on rack. You can make them ahead and refrigerate in paper towel lined airtight container for up to 24 hours.
- Place the little heads in the punch bowl, after you filled it with the punch. Enjoy!