- 2 croissants sliced horizontal
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- ½ cup diced smoked ham
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ teaspoon dried thym
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup diced dill pickles
- ¼ cup shredded Gruyere c
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Combine bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon melted butter in a small bowl.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir ham and onion in melted butter until onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour has lost its raw smell, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour in ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon milk. Place saucepan back over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese, Dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Stir chicken and diced pickle into cheese sauce.
- Place toasted bread slices on the prepared baking sheet. Brush one side of each bread slice with ¾ teaspoon melted butter. Turn slices over and top each with ¼ of the cheese sauce. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon shredded Gruyere cheese over the top of each sandwich. Top with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake sandwiches in the preheated oven until cheese is bubbling and chicken mixture is hot, 15 to 20 minutes.
Note : Serves 2, in-staid of croissant you could use 4 (½ inch thick) slices of toast.
Photo Credit: foodwishes.blogspot.com
Source : http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Cordon-Bleu-Sandwich/Detail.aspx