- ¼ cup plain flour
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 (about 500g) chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally
- ½ small eggplant, cut into 4 slices lengthways
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½cup coarsely grated cheddar
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Place the flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates.
- Season flour with salt and pepper.
- Whisk egg, milk and garlic in a shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- Dip in egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs to coat.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Brush the eggplant with 2 tbsp of oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Cook eggplant for 2 minutes each side or until golden and transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in the pan and cook the chicken for 3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through.
- Transfer to a baking tray. Preheat grill on high.
- Top chicken with eggplant, tomato, basil and cheddar.
- Cook under grill for 5 minutes or until cheddar melts.
- Serve with salad leaves.
Note: Preparation time: 20 minutes, Cooking time: 15 minutes