- 8-10 dry scallops
- 12 baby red beets
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard seed
- 4 Tbsp. crushed pistachio, toasted
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter, unsalted
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 heads mache lettuce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash beets and remove stems. Toss cleaned beets with 1 Tbsp. of
olive oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer beets to an oven safe dish and
cover with aluminum foil. Roast beets for approximately 40 minutes
until beets are tender. Remove from oven and working carefully rub skin
from beets with a kitchen or paper towel. Set aside to cool.
- Place 4 of the peeled beets in a blender with the sherry vinegar and
2 Tbsp. of olive oil. Blend for 1 minute on high until smooth and
emulsified. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a small sauce pot combine cider vinegar, sugar, and the ½ tsp. of
salt. Bring mixture to a boil just until sugar and salt have
dissolved. Pour hot vinegar mixture over mustard seed and set aside to
- Heat a large sauté or cast iron pan over high heat. Add canola oil
until it begins to smoke. Carefully place scallops in hot oil and sear
on one side for 2 minutes until golden brown. Flip scallops, turn heat
off and add butter. Baste scallops with butter for 1 minute while still
in the pan. Remove scallops from pan.
- To assemble, spoon equal parts of beet puree onto 4 serving plates. Cut remaining 8 beets into quarters, season with salt and pepper, and divide onto the four plates on top of the puree. Place 2 scallops on each plate and top with a spoon of the pickled mustard seeds. Finish each plate with a Tbsp. of the crushed pistachio. An optional garnish could be mache lettuce.
Click here for Original Recipe and more Details
Photo Credit: blog.cityeats.com